Fresh summer breeze | pure relaxation | charging up | nature time
Between the grass mountains of the Pinzgau and the High Tauern National Park the apartment is surrounded by lush pastures and grazing cows. Back to nature! Why not leave the car in the garage and start short or long treks right here?
Spend your precious vacation time where the states of Salzburg and Tyrolia meet. An entrance point of the largest, connected skiing area in Tyrolia is waiting for you, you can hike up to the spring of the Salzach river or bike down the river valley all the way to Salzburg, or visit Austria’s highest waterfalls nearby.
Hochkrimml is on top of the mountain pass connecting the Pinzgau and Ziller valley. At 1600m altitude you can relax nicely. There are few cars and no mites, ideal for people suffering from allergies or asthma.
Hochkrimml is perfect for mountain bikers, trekkers, climbers and nature freaks; the High Tauern Nature Reserve starts right here. There more than enough things to do, here are some suggestions:
The region from Zell am Ziller up to Krimml offers more than 200km of trekking paths at all levels. The is one for every taste, level of fitness and age. How about
- Path to the Gletscherblickalm
- Path down to Krimml along the famous waterfalls
- Hike from the upper waterfalls to the oldest inn room in Upper Pinzgau, from there you can proceed to the Richter and Warngauer mountain cabins right at the foot of spectacular glaciers
- Trek to the spring of the Salzach or to the Markkirchl, a small chapel where the state of Salzburg meets Tyrolia
- Short walk with kids around the small lake in Wildgerlos valley close to the Finkau inn, the “Jodl trek” to Larmach Alm inn, up to the Krummbach inn where the local farmer makes is cheese, Lackenalm and so on
- For the fitter trekkers you can walk to Trisslalm, stop at Zittauer cabin and reach the top of the Rosskopf mountain
- For advanced trekkers and climbers you can reach the Wildkarspitz in the Reichenspitz group and even cross in the Ahrn valley into Norther Italy
- For those who do not want to trek you can simply enter the Dofbahn lift in Königsleiten and stroll along the Kröndlwurm lake – adventure for young and old!
There are lovely mountain bike tours in the area. You can rent bikes close by – bikes with an “e” and without. Some suggestions:
- The valley of the Krimmler Ache
- From Tauern House into Windbach Valley
- Discover the Wildgerlos valley along the lake above Gerlos
- From Krimml via Falkenstein to Wald
- From the appartment to the Gletscherblick Alm (glacier view mountain cabin)
Mountain pasture paradise
„Alm“ ist he German word for mountain pasture. Since thousands of years farmers from the valleys drive their cattle into the higher mountain realms to feed off lush pastures during the summer. In many of the cabins they live in you can enjoy self-made cheese, fresh milk, delicious blueberry or rhubarb cakes, a healthy “Jause” with brown bread, cheese, ham, horse radish, and a locally made “Zirbenschnaps” afterwards.
Here is a selection of cabins worth visiting:
- Larmach Alm (via Jodl trek or Dorfbahn lift) – easy to reach, great view of Gerlos, Wild Gerlos valley and high Tauern mountains
- Trisslalm above the lake, about 30 minutes uphill from Finkau along a glacier water creek with spectacularl gorges
- Finkau Alm on the Wild Gerlos valley lake – the Ensmann family restaurant is famous for its venison dishes, a walk around the first of 2 lakes takes about 1 hour and there is a nice kids playground in from of the inn
- Lackenalm inn in the Schönach valley – a nice new inn with very tasty cakes and excellent coffee, it takes a little over an hour to walk there from Gerlos
- Wimmer inn cabin in Wimmer valley – very quiet valley with beautiful pastures
- Gletscherblick inn above Wild Gerlos lake – cold Weissbier and a tasty “Jause”
- Krummbachrast inn in Krummbach valley with selfmade cheese
And much more ...
Water – one of the 4 ancient elements: famous and spectacular Krimml water falls, the public “Kristallbad” swimming pool with indoor and outdoor area as well as a nice spa and sauna area, the adventure swimming pond in Uttendorf, the Wild Gerlos lake (it is actually a water reservoir) to enjoy cold water from glaciers and snow … developed or rustic, you will find your favorite spot.
High ropes course and flying fox: 60 stations and 15 zip lines in Gerlos
Health and Wellness: in Krimml you can take up offers from May to September for a variety of aerosol-inhalation therapies, good for people suffering from asthma or allergies
Local shopping: farmers markets on Friday evenings in Wald in Pinzgau valley, Wednesdays in Krimml. Or you drive to Neukirchen am Großvenediger or Mittersil for some shopping for modern or traditional apparels. And of course Innsbruck is not far.
Children programme: The community of Krimml organizes a program for children from June to Oktober.
The Arena Coaster: close to Zell am Ziller is an exciting roller coaster during summer time in the Ziller valley. Kids should discover the Fichtenschloss (fir castle) close to Fichtensee (fir lake) on Rosenalm.
Are you into arts? April through October you can attend courses at the Hochneukirchen castle in Neukirchen or on top of the Wildkogel mountain. Necessary materials can be purchased right there and try crafting stone or be adventurous with acrylic colors. You can find some of my results in our apartment :-)!
Restaurants: Here are our favorites
- Gasthof Filzstein – 2 min walking distance in the Filzstein hotel, modern ambience and tasty food
- Duxeralm – 15 minutes walking along the road west of the apartment, alpine style, very quick service
- Plattenalm – another 30 minutes further from Duxeralm, alpine ambience
- Gasthof Finkau – to reach this family run hotel and inn you should go by car, great cooking famous for meats of local game hunted by grandpa Franz himself
- Weinzeit in Königsleiten – very small restaurant with few but very fine dishes on the menue, featuring a very good selection of Austrian wines which you can also take home – better reserve a table before you go
- For pizza lovers: try hotel “Köningsleiten” in Königsleiten